Kilns In Japan

There are many different types of kilns in the world.To specify a few, there are electric kilns, kilns that use oil, gas, coal or propane as fuel, and there are wood burning kilns.The technique used to fire the potter greatly influences the results of that firing.For example, if a potter wanted natural ash glazes, then the preferable type of kiln would be a wood-burning one, because the ash would attach to a piece, melt onto it, and create a glaze that is impossible to attain any other way.In most situations, the type of kiln used is just as important as the materials that go into it.
The Japanese believe that only 85% of the firing process is controlled by them, the other 15% is up to the'Kama No Kami'; the kiln god.The kiln god manipulates such things as the weather, the environment of the kiln, and the condition of the wood being fired.If the firing goes wrong, then it is because the kiln god was not pleased with the potters.Usually, before a firing, the potters sacrifice something to the kiln god in return for fortunate outcome.
In Japan, there are many different kinds of traditional kilns being used; however, there are two kilns that are most prized. The Anagama kiln and the Naborigama kiln are the two most valued kilns.Their functionality is incredible, and they have been around for a very long time.
Before the Anagama or Naborigama kiln, the Japanese method of firing pieces of pottery was very simple.They used open pits, outdoor bonfires, and anyplace that could sustain a substantial amount of heat.These pieces of pottery were known as low-fired earthenware, because the temperature of their firing usually never exceeded around 700 degrees.The Jomon and Yayoi styles of pottery are linked to these methods of firing.
The Anagama kiln is the oldest style of kiln in Japan, and was thefirst wood burning kiln to be used.It was originally from Korea, and was introduced


I'm Sandulf

Would you like to get a custom essay? How about receiving a customized one?

Check it out